Liposuction – Oklahoma City
What is liposuction?
Liposuction slims and reshapes specific areas of the body by eliminating extra fat deposits and improving your body proportion and contours.
Liposuction techniques may be used to reduce localized fat deposits of the:
- Hips and buttocks
- Abdomen and waist
- Upper arms
- Inner knee
- Chest area
- Chin and neck
Liposuction can be performed with other plastic surgery procedures, such as a facelift, breast reduction or a tummy tuck or can be done alone.
What liposuction won’t do
Liposuction is not a substitute for a diet or an exercise plan and it is not treatment for obesity.
It is also not an effective treatment for cellulite – the dimpled skin that typically appears on the thighs, hips, and buttocks – or loose skin that is saggy.
During your liposuction recovery, a garment to compress your skin or elastic bandages may be placed on treatment areas after your procedure to help reduce swelling.
In addition, to remove blood or fluid, small temporary drains may be placed in existing incisions beneath the skin.
You will be given specific instructions that may include:
- How to care for the surgical site and drains
- Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing and reduce the potential for infection
- Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health
- When to follow up with your plastic surgeon
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon specific questions about what you can expect during your individual recovery period:
- Where will I be taken after my surgery is complete?
- What medication will I be given or prescribed after surgery?
- Will I have dressings/bandages after surgery?
- How long will I wear the compression garment?
- Are stitches removed? When?
- When can I resume normal activity and exercise?
- When do I return for follow-up care?
It may take months for the swelling to fully go away. As it does, your new enhanced self-image and contours should continue to form.
Preparing for liposuction
In preparing for liposuction surgery, you may be asked to:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Stop smoking
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
Liposuction is performed in a office-based surgical facility, a licensed ambulatory surgical center, or a hospital.
When having the procedure, make sure to arrange for someone to drive you to and from the surgery and to be able to stay with you over night the first night following surgery.
Liposuction risks and safety information
The choice to have plastic surgery is completely personal, and you will have to decide if the results will fulfill your goals and if the potential complications and risks of liposuction are acceptable.
You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you are fully aware of the procedure and any potential complications or risks that may occur.
Liposuction risks include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Change in skin sensation that may persist
- Damage to deeper structures such as nerves, blood vessels, muscles, lungs, and abdominal organs
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Fluid accumulation
- Irregular contours or asymmetries
- Irregular pigmentation
- Need for revision surgery
- Persistent swelling
- Poor wound healing
- Rippling or loose skin, worsening of cellulite
- Thermal burn or heat injury from ultrasound with the ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty technique
These risks and others will be fully discussed prior to your consent. It’s important that you discuss all your questions with your plastic surgeon prior to the surgery.
Secondary procedures may sometimes be recommended to minimize extra skin. Special considerations are needed when large amounts – usually more than five liters of fat – are suctioned.
Liposuction procedure steps
The liposuction procedure includes the following steps:
Step 1 – Anesthesia
Medications are administered for your comfort during the surgical procedure. The choices include local anesthesia, intravenous sedation, and general anesthesia. Your doctor will recommend the best choice for you.
Step 2 – The incision
Liposuction is performed through small, inconspicuous incisions.
First, diluted local anesthesia is infused to reduce bleeding and trauma. Then a thin hollow tube, or cannula, is inserted through the incisions to loosen excess fat using a controlled back and forth motion. The dislodged fat is then suctioned out of the body using a surgical vacuum or syringe attached to the cannula.
Problem areas that can be addressed with liposuction:
Step 3 – See the results
Additional Information About Liposuction:
Your improved body contour will be apparent once the swelling and fluid retention commonly experienced following liposuction subside.
Liposuction (also called liposculpture) is a popular cosmetic surgery procedure in Oklahoma City for women and men who wish to refine their shape to their ideal proportions. Consider liposuction by Dr Jeanette Padgett to help you achieve the trim appearance you deserve-and the confidence that goes with it.
Liposuction can remove extra fat in areas of your body that are disproportionately flabby or thick. Those fat cells that are removed do not return. This procedure aims for the areas of fat deposit that you cannot get rid of with a diet plan or exercise.
Through liposuction, you can show off the natural beauty and improve upon your body’s unique symmetry. Liposuction can also help you have the confidence to display the care you take to maintain your fitness and good health.
Power-assisted liposuction is a new and important technology for body shaping. It is an excellent method for permanently removing unwanted fatty bulges and for creating more attractive body contours.
Oklahoma City board certified cosmetic surgeon Jeanette Padgett performs power-assisted liposuction on many parts of the body, including the abdomen, hips , “lovehandles” or waist, thighs, legs, arms, back, This technique can help you regain or reveal a fit, youthful appearance.
Women and men in Oklahoma City have liposuction for many different reasons, including:
- To correct disproportionate body fat distribution
- To remove stubborn fat deposits
- To regain a youthful appearance
- To help clothes fit properly or more comfortably
During your consultation, Oklahoma City plastic surgeon Dr. Jeanette Padgett will discuss your concerns with you and explain the details of liposuction cosmetic surgery. There are a number of options to consider, including whether or not to perform another body procedure at the same time.